Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Half Marathon, say what???

So, I never thought I would be a runner. There's all of this huffing and puffing, and going in circles, or going nowhere on the treadmill. But this winter, I took up cross country skiing. This is a miracle in itself, but that's for another post. Anyway, as the season was winding down, and when I could no longer xc ski around the neighborhood, I decided running was the best way to wear our puppy out.

It worked great. I would take her for a run, she would pass out, life was good. Then, I started to like running. Not just tolerate, but really, really like to run. So, after reading a few too many Runner's World magazines while driving on our trip to Orcas Island in May, I decided I could run a half marathon.

Since then I've been running in fits & spurts, but now, I've decided, I am serious. There's a friend at work that is also training to run a half marathon, and I decided if she could do it, I can do it. Now, she's super thin, can run forever on the treadmill,you know, all things that would make a great candidate to run a half marathon. Me, on the other hand. I can run 2.25 miles, and I'm excited about it. I run it in an 11:30 minute mile. Speedy, huh? But, I've decided I can do it.

So, I made a training plan. I found a couple online, but I'm completely paranoid about injuring myself, so I decided they were too ambitious. So, I am going to increase my mileage by 10% each week for the next 20 weeks. By then, I should be able to run 13.8 miles at a stretch, and it will be a fabulous Christmas present. Gift to me? A 13.1 mile run on Christmas Day, assuming the roads are clear, of course. How far is that? Well, it's further than driving to my office, by more than a full mile.

I can do it, it's just 10.85 miles away...

No comments:

Post a Comment